Thursday, May 22, 2008

Movies, TV, the media, oh my!

Media is everywhere, and it is a part of our daily lives. No matter how much one may try to stay away from it, one cannot. Society lives off the media by watching movies, TV shows, reading the paper, or browsing through magazines. Some may even listen to the radio or their IPOD throughout the day. People are connected to one another because of media, and I believe that the media can not only also conform the thought’s of a person but also create stereotypes with a group of people. Media can cause people to become brainwashed into thinking what the ones in power would like the majority of the population to think.

For example, one historical figure that played and influenced people by using media was Adolf Hitler. He with his subordinates took over Germany as well as other countries with not only military force but also with media. He created propaganda and drew caricature of Jewish people depicting them to be “inferior” to the Aryan race. Hitler controlled news and media by blocking off any other type of news from the world. He was able to manipulate how the majority of the population thought and then was able to exterminate millions of innocent lives.

One should not take everything that they see and hear to be one hundred percent true because there are times when the government as well as the reporters try to hide or sugarcoat stories. Especially when one watches the news or reads the newspaper they should read several papers, maybe even from different countries to see what they read has any substance or truth. People are not only influenced by the news but by movies and TV.

People can be influenced by movies as well as TV shows because of the way characters are portrayed. A movie that really spoke to me was “Freedom Writers”. I found that movie to be quite inspirational. I have always found interest in watching films where the setting takes place in an urban community and school. Freedom Writers was moving because it gives me aspiration of becoming a wonderful teacher who never gives up and fights for the students so that they may be able to follow their own dreams. I never had any interest in teaching in suburban school districts; rather, I have always had the desire to pursue my career as a teacher in urban districts. This is so because I know that the students living in urban areas are more in need of not only qualified but passionate teachers. I am getting off topic now, but getting back to the topic I know that media has influenced me a lot.

There are several beliefs where media has influenced me. For example, it seems like there are crimes committed constantly in certain areas in New Jersey and deemed to be a dangerous place. Another would be that I began to stereotype various groups because of what I have seen and heard. One stereotype would be that those on welfare are lazy people and choose not to work. I later found this thought of mine to be absolutely incorrect, although there are still times I wonder why those on welfare try to have more children then they can take care of. Something that I am going to try to do is that even when I read the news or watch movies and TV is that I am going to try to keep an open-mind. I am also going to try to not be influenced by the media that surrounds me. After all, I can be entirely incorrect about what I have thought to be true.

No comments: