Although my parents are not rich and I will not have an inheritance of a million of dollars I live a comfortable life without worrying about having a place to live or not having enough money where I would need to skip a meal. Because of the way my parents raised me I have always lived a sheltered life and the first time I had a glimpse of poverty was when I went on a mission trip to Thailand as a seventeen year old. My mission team and I went to a refugee camp where the people from the mountains were gathered. The government did not want these people living in the mountainside because the people would use the wood and resources that were available. The people living in the refugee camps were very poor and many were uneducated. They were unable to eat three meals a day nor were they able to get out of the refugee camps. The majority of them worked as field workers.
I was fortunate enough to stay in a home that had a cement floor, and a sturdy roof. My mission team also ate three meals a day, which I felt bad about because the people living there did not even have one decent meal. The other homes were very small and had a dirt floor. The children were not fortunate enough to go to school because their parents were not able to make enough money. The girls were sent off to get married at a young age of twelve or thirteen because the parents were not able to afford them. I found this to be heartbreaking because these girls were married to men that were in their late twenties. After seeing all of this I told myself that I would try to help those in need when I had the opportunity to.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment