Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Review of "The Promise of Urban Schools"- Annenberg Institute for School Reform

What do you think of when you think of the word "urban"? Can the word be defined? I believe that it is difficult to define "urban" as we, as a class, have tried to do previously. But also, what exactly occurs in an urban school district and how are we to resolve the current issues today. After reading The Promise of Urban Schools my eyes have been opened to see things in a different view.

Education is to help students prepare for the 'real' world. Education should provide what a student needs to prosper as an adult; enable a student to not only follow their dreams but to also realistically earn a living with the talents that they have. However, just because students are being educated in a classroom setting does not mean that the student will be successful. Students need to have a positive outlook on one's self and a good relationship with those around him or her.

It is difficult for a student to do things on his or her own and therefore they need the support of adult figures whether it be their biological parents or family friends. The article stated that parent participation is crucial. We also need to remember that many times subconsciously there are occasions when students are being segregated whether it be the type of education the students receive or the resources that they have. For example, students attending a public school in the suburbs receive different resources as well as an education then those who attend public schools in the inner city. As teachers who look to teaching in urban districts, we should try to provide students the same

3 comments:

Lucrative Thoughts said...

I sort of agree with you about the difficulty about defining the word urban. At first, I felt that had nothing to do with your argument, but as I thought about it… I realized it is a huge and crucial point that must be addressed. It shows that we do not have any experience in an urban school setting and also that it is always changing. Therefore creating a curriculum around the “urban” school becomes problematic.
Education should provide the elements for students to function in an adult world. That is what education should be. In my opinion, I believe the complete opposite is occurring in our school system. If we look at schools we see that it is comprised of multiple spheres. Meaning that the student functions within the institution, friends, family, clicks, clubs, and so forth. To be honest, from what I remember the institution itself had less to do with me as an adult than the other spheres. Education has a hard and arduous task in it’s hands… I definitely have to agree with you that the school should create an environment that is not only safe, but promotes thinking from the students.
From what I gathered, you’re right the students have a plethora of problems outside of the classroom that have a huge influence on the resources that the students will receive in school. In certain areas, such as the suburbs, the students will have more money to use in the school. In other areas that is not even an option. You are right, that we should try to identify and define what the urban school is, but I feel that instead of defining it as its own… we should define it again of what it is not and what it lacks. After all, we can’t define it completely because we will never understand it since we are not a part of it. What we can do is define it in terms of what we know… suburbs.

Haitian Cookie822 said...

Defining the word "urban" is quite difficult because it can be a negative or a positive aspect, but there was a sentence that really caught my attention is the parent participation in the urban setting, which is stated in the article; however it is difficult everywhere. According to the article, it is probably difficult for the students in the urban setting, but again its everywhere. Sometimes it can be extremely difficult for the parents to come and participate. For example, both of my parents work in New York and it was quite difficult for them to come and participate in parent meetings and etc. Sometimes, one of my aunts would have to attend the meeting for my parents. So it is not just in the urban setting, it is everywhere.

Christine said...

How can "urban" be defined? I myself am not sure and I don't believe it was answered in this class even though there was extensive dialogue on it. I think the word "urban" constantly changes as does education. There is no limit to what type of education anyone can get, as we have witnessed in the UEI. I agree with Lucrative Thoughts that education should provide students the elements to function in the real world. I also feel that education should not be taught for a test. Will things ever change??? It's not looking good from my stand point and I hope it doesn't get worse when I enter the school system.